While the national football leagues are slowly allowing spectators back into the stadiums, Formula 1 fans will have to wait a little longer. At least until the end of May it seems. Then, during the Monaco Grand Prix, the first fans are expected along the track.
So says Stefano Domenicali, Formula One CEO for Liberty Media. “Unfortunately we will not have fans in the stands at the next Grands Prix in Portugal and Spain, but Monte Carlo should be the first Grand Prix with a limited number of people on Sunday,” the Italian told Sky Italia.
Stefano Domenicali takes changes into account
However, he is keeping a cautious eye on the situation. The situation regarding the virus and the rules and regulations varies from country to country and can change at any moment. Domenicali intends to assess the situation from hour to hour.
According to the former technical director of Ferrari this uncertainty makes the planning for this season even more difficult than last year. Back then it was clear that people were happy to race at all and the issue of spectators played a lesser role. “At that time no one thought we would complete a season with seventeen Grands Prix at all,” – the former Ferrari boss explained.