
Formula 1 is closely monitoring the escalating geopolitical tensions in the Middle East, with the CEO of the sport, Stefano Domenicali, confirming the existence of a “Plan B” in case the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix become unfeasible. As tensions continue to rise between Iran and Israel—alongside recent threats targeting U.S. military bases in the Arab region—the final rounds of the 2025 Formula One World Championship could be at risk. While there is currently no immediate danger, Domenicali emphasized that regular communication with local organizers is ongoing.
The fragile state of affairs in the Middle East casts doubt on the likelihood of long-term regional stability. The situation is evolving rapidly, which increases the uncertainty not only for countries directly involved in the conflict but also for nearby nations such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Together with Liberty Media, both host countries are carefully observing how the conflict develops, as well as following the progress of ongoing diplomatic efforts. For Formula 1, the safety of drivers, teams, staff, and all personnel preparing to travel to Losail and Yas Marina in the coming months remains the top priority.
Earlier in the season, the Formula 1 World Championship successfully held its Middle Eastern rounds in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia without any issues or security concerns. However, given how quickly the geopolitical climate can shift, Formula 1’s leadership has decided not to take any chances. For this reason, Stefano Domenicali confirmed that a contingency plan is in place should the situation deteriorate and force a relocation of the final races.
Domenicali: “We Are Monitoring Events Closely”
As reported by SoyMotor.com, Stefano Domenicali offered clarity on the matter:
“We are closely monitoring developments in the region and are in daily contact with the organizers in both Qatar and Abu Dhabi. At the moment, there is no reason to believe that either of the two Grands Prix are at risk.”
He continued: “A backup plan does exist, in case we are forced to host the final two races of the season in alternative venues. But we hope that by the end of the year, the situation will have calmed and there will be no further concerns. We are only in July, and there are still several months until December.”
While this contingency plan offers a layer of reassurance, Domenicali acknowledged the enormous logistical and financial challenges involved in moving such high-profile events on short notice. Any such change would significantly affect the championship’s commercial rights income and force teams to adapt to major travel and preparation disruptions.
At this stage, Formula 1 has not disclosed which circuits could serve as potential replacements for Losail and Yas Marina. A logical alternative might be found in Europe, where all teams are headquartered, making logistics more manageable. However, timing poses a serious obstacle: the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix are currently scheduled for November 30 and December 7—dates that fall in the early stages of winter across Europe. Holding a Formula 1 race in such weather conditions would require careful consideration and could prove highly problematic.
Although the situation remains fluid, Formula 1 is preparing for every eventuality. If the safety of personnel, drivers, teams, and fans cannot be guaranteed, the sport may be forced to take decisive action and activate its Plan B—even if it means ending the season far from the sun-soaked circuits of the Middle East.






