Scuderia Ferrari reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi led the way during the opening morning of Formula 1’s second in-season test at the Hungaroring.
Formula 1 has stayed on at the Hungarian Grand Prix venue for two days of running, taking place today (Tuesday) and Wednesday. Antonio Giovinazzi clocked a time of 1:19.648s as he returned to Ferrari’s SF71-H off the back of his second FP1 run in as many weeks with Sauber, for whom he will carry out Wednesday’s running.
McLaren’s reserve pilot Lando Norris placed second, 0.318s behind Giovinazzi, with Force India tester Nicholas Latifi in third. Latifi, along with Williams youngster Oliver Rowland, ran with a prototype 2019 front wing during the early stages of running, as teams begin preparations for next year. Sauber racer Marcus Ericsson was fourth, ahead of Toro Rosso’s Brendon Hartley, who racked up almost a century of laps aboard the STR13.
Mercedes protégé and Formula 2 title leader George Russell was sixth, the least productive driver having amassed only 21 laps, while Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo placed seventh, just 0.656s behind leader Antonio Giovinazzi. Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg finished eighth, half a second further back on Ricciardo, with Rowland ninth for Williams.
Sean Gelael drove a second Toro Rosso for the purpose of carrying out tyre development in conjunction with sole supplier Pirelli and propped up the 10-driver field, 2.2s off the pace.
Haas has opted not to participate in this week’s test.
The entirety of the four-hour session took place in hot and dry conditions, with air temperature nudging 33°c.
1) Antonio Giovinazzi, Ferrari, 66 laps, 1:19.648
2) Lando Norris, McLaren, 46 laps, 1:19.966
3) Nicholas Latifi, Force India, 66 laps, 1:19.994
4) Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 63 laps, 1:20.081
5) Brendon Hartley, Toro Rosso, 94 laps, 1:20.151
6) George Russell, Mercedes, 21 laps, 1:20.231
7) Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 76 laps, 1:20.304
8) Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 63 laps, 1:20.826
9) Oliver Rowland, Williams, 43 laps, 1:21.594
10) Sean Gelael, Toro Rosso, 68 laps, 1:21.861