
Formula 1 could move the 2026 season finale to Europe, potentially returning to Imola, if the conflict in the Middle East prevents the Qatar and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix from taking place. F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has confirmed that a decision will be made by mid-September, while both races remain officially scheduled and sold out for now.
Formula 1 is working to ensure the season includes at least 22 Grands Prix despite the situation in the Middle East. Following the announcement that the Bahrain Grand Prix will be held in Malaysia during the first weekend of October, attention has now shifted to the final rounds of the championship and the contingency plan that could bring F1 back to Europe in December.
F1 prepares European backup plan for 2026 season finale
Domenicali addressed the situation during his mid-season press conference, explaining that Formula 1 intends to wait as long as reasonably possible before deciding whether the final two Middle Eastern events can proceed.
“Because of the way we are structured, we will take as much time as possible to see how the situation develops and make a decision at the right moment, which will not be before September,” the Formula 1 CEO said. “As things stand, the races in Qatar and Abu Dhabi are confirmed, and both are already sold out. However, if the situation is not sufficiently clear by mid-September, then we will decide. I can confirm that, if [the Middle East] were not possible, the season finale would be in Europe.”
The change would represent a significant alteration to the current 2026 Formula 1 calendar, but Domenicali stressed that several possible venues are being considered and that no commitment has yet been made.
“There are a few possibilities on the table, but I do not think it would be right to make promises given the situation today,” he explained. “I hope it will not be necessary, but if circumstances do not allow us to go there, we will finish the championship in Europe.”
Imola among possible F1 replacement venues
When asked directly whether Imola was being considered, Stefano Domenicali confirmed that the Italian circuit is part of Formula 1’s contingency planning. However, he made it clear that it has not been chosen ahead of the other candidates.
“Imola is among the options, but nothing has been decided,” he said. “It is not already the selected venue.”
Imola was omitted from the original schedule when the official 2026 Formula 1 calendar was revealed. Its inclusion among the possible replacement venues therefore opens the prospect of an unexpected return, although that will depend entirely on developments affecting the planned Qatar and Abu Dhabi rounds.
Domenicali addresses December weather concerns
A European race at the beginning of December would inevitably raise questions about low temperatures and the possibility of difficult weather conditions. Domenicali responded to those concerns with a touch of humour, recalling a previous occasion when snow fell at the Nürburgring before turning into rain.
“Let’s hope there is no snow,” he said. “I remember that many years ago there was a dusting of snow at the Nürburgring which then turned into rain. We hope that does not happen, but if it did, we would try to respond. Pirelli will not be ready with winter tyres, but perhaps it should start working on them,” Domenicali joked.
Returning to the practical outlook, the Formula 1 CEO expressed confidence that the conditions should still allow a European event to be staged at that point in the year.
“Seriously, though, I think the weather will allow us to race in Europe at the beginning of December,” he continued.
Stefano Domenicali also argued that the expected European climate would not necessarily be more challenging than the conditions experienced in Nevada, where Formula 1 has held a night race for the past three years.
“The statistics tell us that, at that time of year, temperatures in Europe are less severe than those in Las Vegas when we race there,” he said. “In any case, nobody knows what the temperatures or weather will be. We can only share the numbers.”
Why Formula 1 rejected a second Las Vegas race
Another proposal considered for the closing stages of the season was a Las Vegas double-header. Formula 1 ultimately rejected that possibility for several reasons, including the risk of diminishing the value of its existing event and competing for attention with the NFL.
“I can assure you that there will not be another race in the United States,” the former Ferrari team principal confirmed. “There was a possibility of holding two races in Las Vegas, but we did not want to devalue what we are doing there—a jewel that is continuing to grow.”
He also highlighted the scale of the sporting competition Formula 1 would face in the American market during that period.
“We should also remember that, at that time of year in the United States, we come up against the NFL, an important sport watched by a lot of people,” Stefano Domenicali added. “We must avoid putting ourselves in a situation where we are competing against something that is extremely popular in the United States.”
Qatar and Abu Dhabi therefore remain the confirmed final destinations on the schedule, but Formula 1’s European alternative is ready if greater clarity does not emerge by mid-September. Imola is one of the potential solutions, although Domenicali has emphasised that no replacement venue has yet been selected.







Leave a Reply