Red Bull wants to sign Colton Herta and give him a seat at AlphaTauri for the 2022 Formula 1 season, but is still waiting a decision from the FIA regarding the superlicence issue, before it can continue with its plans to allow Pierre Gasly to move to Alpine for next year.
Scuderia Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto joined fellow team bosses Toto Wolff, Fred Vasseur, Mike Krack and Gunther Steiner, who have all previously stated that the FIA should not make any concessions regarding the current points system, while former Ferrari boss and current Formula 1 chief executive officer Stefano Domenicali has confirmed he agrees with the F1 bosses.
All of them have pointed out that the F3 and F2 ladder, in which many teams invest thanks to their young driver programmes, should be respected.
“First we are investing a lot in our Ferrari Driver Academy and continue to do so,” said Mattia Binotto during his Saturday press conference at the Monza circuit ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.
“I think force majeure cannot be used for Herta. That will be a completely wrong approach. Regulations are in place in order to protect our sport and make sure that we’re making the right process and choices for our sport itself. So, Herta may participate in the championship, [when] he’s got what are the requirements to do so, and not differently. I think that’s very important, and we will certainly overview what FIA will do in that respect. And I think each single team will do so, because it’s for the importance of our sport. We cannot have force majeure or whatever are the situations, which is not a force majeure, certainly in that case.” – Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto explained.
Show your support for Scuderia Ferrari with official merchandise collection from Puma! Enter the online Puma Store and shop securely! And get your F1 tickets for every race with VIP hospitality and unparalleled insider access. Click here for the best offers to support Charles and Carlos from the track!
AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost said that the team is still awaiting news on Herta before being able to act on its final line-up for the 2023 Formula 1 season:
“The latest on Pierre is that he has a contract with us,” said the Austrian. “And regarding Colton Herta, it’s a decision from the FIA whether he gets the superlicence or not, and I hope that FIA will take this decision as soon as possible, so that we know how to build up the team and where to go for next year.”
When questioned about what solution could be found to help Herta arrive in Formula 1 next cause season, including possible runs in first practice sessions, he replied: “This is a question you have to ask the FIA, because there’s a regulation, and if the FIA wants to change anything, then this is one side. We, from our side, will support it of course. If it’s necessary to run in FP1 then we will run him in FP1. We will do everything what is being requested.”
Leave a Reply