Lewis Hamilton has come out on top in the first qualifying session of the season, beating teammate Valtteri Bottas to pole position.
Bottas held provisional pole after the first run in Q3, but lost out in the end as Hamilton made up the time he lost after making a slight mistake at the first corner on his opening run.
The Briton’s fastest lap was a 1:20.486, which is a new track record for Albert Park. Sebastian Vettel was third fastest in the Ferrari, however the four-time world champion was seven-tenths down on his rival.
Max Verstappen was fourth and was the only Red Bull inside the top ten, as Pierre Gasly was caught out in Q1 by an improving track and is set to line up on tomorrow’s grid in 17th.
Charles Leclerc will start in fifth place for Ferrari, but was over a second down on Lewis Hamilton’s pole-setting lap time.
Formula 1 2019 Australian Grand Prix – Qualifying Results
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport 1m20.486s
2. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport + 0.112s
3. Sebastian Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari + 0.704s
4. Max Verstappen NED Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda + 0.834s
5. Charles Leclerc MON Scuderia Ferrari + 0.956s
6. Romain Grosjean FRA Rich Energy Haas F1 Team + 1.340s
7. Kevin Magnussen DEN Rich Energy Haas F1 Team + 1.613s
8. Lando Norris GBR McLaren F1 Team + 1.818s
9. Kimi Raikkonen ITA Alfa Romeo Racing + 1.828s
10. Sergio Perez MEX SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team + 2.295s
— Q2 CUTOFF 1m22.532s —
11. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault F1 Team 1m22.562s
12. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Renault F1 Team 1m22.570s
13. Alexander Albon THA Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda 1m22.636s
14. Antonio Giovinazzi ITA Alfa Romeo Racing 1m22.714s
15. Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda 1m22.774s
— Q1 CUTOFF 1m22.966s —
16. Lance Stroll CAN SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team 1m23.017s
17. Pierre Gasly FRA Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda 1m23.020s
18. Carlos Sainz ESP McLaren F1 Team 1m23.084s
19. George Russell GBR ROKiT Williams Racing 1m24.360s
20. Robert Kubica POL ROKiT Williams Racing 1m26.067s