Scuderia Ferrari Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen edged out Lewis Hamilton to finish fastest in second practice for the Singapore Grand Prix as Ferrari Formula 1 teammate Sebastian Vettel’s session was cut short following a brush with the wall midway through the session.
Two weeks on from his charge to pole position at Monza, Kimi once again featured at the top of the timesheets as he turned in a fastest time of 1m38.699s on the Hypersoft tyre to edge out Mercedes’ Hamilton by just 0.011 seconds.
Championship leader Hamilton had a clean session en route to P2 for Mercedes, but the same could not be said of his title rival Vettel, who lost his Hypersoft run following a mistake at Turn 21. Sebastian Vettel had been set to lap close to Kimi Raikkonen and Hamilton’s times, only to run wide and hit the wall with the right-hand side of his car, forcing the German to immediately dive into the pits. While there was no major damage sustained, Vettel’s car did leak red liquid in the Ferrari pit box as it was wheeled back into the garage. Vettel immediately out of the car and went to the back of the garage, his session ending with just 12 laps to his name and only the ninth-fastest time.
Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo finished the session third and fourth respectively, but neither could get within half a second of Raikkonen’s time at the front of the pack. Valtteri Bottas finished fifth in the second Mercedes, six-tenths back from teammate Hamilton, with the Finn struggling to keep his Hypersoft tyres alive for a second flying lap.
2018 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix – Free Practice 2 Results
1. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Scuderia Ferrari 1m38.699s
2. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport + 0.011s
3. Max Verstappen NED Aston Martin Red Bull Racing + 0.522s
4. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Aston Martin Red Bull Racing + 0.610s
5. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport + 0.669s
6. Carlos Sainz Jr. ESP Renault Sport Formula One Team + 1.575s
7. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas F1 Team + 1.685s
8. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren F1 Team + 1.760s
9. Sebastian Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari + 1.934s
10. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault Sport Formula One Team + 1.969s
11. Sergio Perez MEX Racing Point Force India F1 Team + 2.075s
12. Marcus Ericsson SWE Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team + 2.113s
13. Esteban Ocon FRA Racing Point Force India F1 Team + 2.171s
14. Charles Leclerc MON Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team + 2.363s
15. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas F1 Team + 2.455s
16. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren F1 Team + 2.465s
17. Brendon Hartley NZL Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda + 2.843s
18. Pierre Gasly FRA Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda + 2.916s
19. Lance Stroll CAN Williams Martini Racing + 3.442s
20. Sergey Sirotkin RUS Williams Martini Racing + 3.482s